1931-36 The Illawarra Jewish Association was formed.
1943 Illawarra Hebrew Congregation was formed – Services held at Masonic Hall and the Kogarah School of Arts.
1953 Bought property at 5 Andover St Carlton. Mr David Schloss was appointed Reader-cum-Cheder teacher.
1960 Purchased property at the corner of Railway Parade & Illawarra St, Allawah.
1966 Name changed to Illawarra Synagogue.
1967 Reverend Gerald Blaivas became the first minister until 1987.
1978 Purchased our present property (502 Railway Parade, Allawah).
March 1981 Illawarra Synagogue was consecrated by Mr Sydney D Einfeld.
Nov 1987 Reverend Stewart Myers became our second Spiritual Leader until 1991.
1989 Triple ‘S’ Friendship Club formed.
March 1991 An arson attack badly damaged the synagogue.
July 1991 Synagogue re-consecrated.
Feb 1993 Rabbi Yosef Feldman was appointed as our third Minister.
1998 Name changed to Southern Sydney Synagogue.
2000 Merged with Bankstown Synagogue.
2013 Celebrated 70 years of our synagogue.
Aug 2015 Tzuriel Avila became our fourth minister.